Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunshine in Singapore

I was fortunate enough to spend last weekend in Singapore... and wow, what a lovely place... very clean and well-maintained, with a fabulous mix of new modern skyscrapers and colonial-style buildings. I was really lucky with the weather as well - it was around 28-30C and sunny all day. Although it was a bit humid, you could catch the odd breeze off the water at the quayside which kept things comfortable. Singapore has lots of rules and laws about not dropping litter, swearing in public, cleaning pavements, keeping gardens tidy, flushing public toilets etc, which some of the tourist stuff on sale made fun of. I kind of got the impression it's the Switzerland of Asia - great for a tourist visiting but maybe could get a bit sterile or dull if you lived there?
The area where I stayed, on the river, was kind of reminicient of Canary Wharf, all well kept bars and restaurants set about the quay, with outdoor seating. It was very quiet over the weekend too, presumably because it picks up most of it's trade from business folk during the week.
I also got the impression that Singapore is strangely proud of its colonial past and links to Britain. Sir Stamford Raffles, who effectively 'founded' and set the basis for the modern Singapore, is clearly held in high esteem. There are a lot of statues or memorials to his achievements across the city, including one by the quay where he first landed.
I did learn that in 1963, when Singapore declared its independence from Britain, it actually became part of Malaysia but split away to be fully self-governing 2 years later... given the amount of development here in massive contrast to what I saw in Kuala Lumpur, this was an excellent decision!

No comments: